"... even as the sun folds its shadow across the earth..."

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Blink Again!

This is a poem I wrote over the summer while my family was in Uganda. Not that this poem has anything to do with Uganda, it's just that I got almost zero response from it while my family is usually the only one to give me feedback. But I kept on feeling like there was something to it, so I took it in to my poetry friend and he really liked it, gave me some advice, and here I am reposting it after my edits. I think it's turned out pretty nicely. It's a little long, so I didn't post it with any other revisions. Enjoy!


A Story of Blinking
-inspired by a painting by my sister Madelene

After the home had grown
too old for the children,
the youngest of four returned to see how small
her room had become.

The bed lay tucked-in around the shadows.
The lamps were lost
in hazy sleep.
The stuffed animals watched
the intricacy of the wallpaper
not recognizing her
enough to turn their heads.
The curtains, drawn and faded,
could have belonged in a doll house.

Perhaps that’s what it had been.

A fairytale
like the ones that had leapt from the pages
into the midnight
beyond her attic windows,
the highest tower of her house.

Now the books slumped
against the scarce selection
on the bookshelf,
the memories she read too many times,
and some she never read.

She flips past the green
hardcover of one, the best one,
and remembers the small town beginning,
then return with elixir at the end.
In between, there was only an anxious tug
onward to the next page.

She herself is lost in that middle.

Her art hangs scattered on the walls,
acrylic paintings and oiled emotions
she forgot to take with her:

a hidden garden and an orchard.
She can smell the lavender perfume
and the maturing pear ready to plunge
down to a grounded world
within the dried paint.

A pencil sketch of her father reading,
an unframed canvas of her mother playing
the cello. The girl listens downstairs;
it is her favorite melody.

She hears the call to return
behind the varnished background
inside the painting.

And finally she discovers the last one, a small canvas
smeared with dusk
and words scratched into the powdered clouds
like faint stars:

Once upon a time in a far
away place

he climbed to the highest 
and she waited for him–

and the moral of the story is
you blink your eyes like maybe

I’ll disappear like a frog princess
if you blink fast enough–

and they lived happily ever
after

She closes her eyes and remembers herself
as she was when she filled the room,
flitting from moment to moment like a hummingbird,
gathering stories from snapdragons.

Her eyes reopen to a chalked sky. She leaves,
wishing it would rain, and descends
stairs that are steeper going down.

1 comment:

  1. How did I not see this? This is one BIG STRAWBERRY. I remember this painting--and the others referenced in it. I am beyond flattered that you would use my art as inspiration. I actually felt transported into this girls body when I was reading this poem. I bow to you.

    ReplyDelete