"... even as the sun folds its shadow across the earth..."

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Before Roots

Before Roots

The old tree’s roots are stable; I wallow in its shadow-leaf pool
for seven short minutes, head perched silent on the sloped bark,
arms nestled in sparse grass, legs root-like in shallow arcs,
en route to higher learning.
                                                        Though in truth I rose one mid-fall
to that thin treetop and felt the tender tip – the youngest branch –
now I neither climb, nor anchor an excuse not to move.


------------------------------------------------

I was lying underneath a tree on my college campus for several minutes in between appointments and I was remembering how it had been so long since I had climbed a tree and regretting it and I was wanting to not move and also thinking about a poem I'd read recently which starts with "The hook links to whatever's stable and in between all that I began to formulate the idea for this poem. That was one heck of a long sentence, but yeah, that's the way it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment