"... even as the sun folds its shadow across the earth..."

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Interlude

So, my poetry class has us writing a poem a week, which is awesome. This is this weeks poem which I hope you enjoy. If you have any comments before tomorrow afternoon, that'd be awesome. If you have comments later on, that'd be awesome too. See? I'm easy to please.


Interlude             

The engine stills & begins
to cool. I chuck the keys in
my coat pocket & slip out
the door into the thin gap
between cars, careful no scratch
is left behind. Slate sky silent
above me, I smell potpourri,
as if a bonfire of dry flowers
smoldered in the backyard.

I remember grazing on vials of orange
& lemon oil in a fragrance store
with a girl, when I was younger,
not yet wrapped with dried memories
attached to the perfumes & the music.
Outside, it was winter also;
we hurried to the car & missed
the crisp air around us, the remnants
of melting ice & of innocence.

I adjust the scarf bound
around my neck, & listen
to the grandmother scuffing down
the narrow street, crunched leaves
beneath our steps. A short space
links the car and home;
it is a ritual walk & I reach
the welcome mat in moments,
cold hands digging

for the keys, still breathing in
the strange smell, like crushed
jasmines, lavender, & mint.
Passing the days inside,
I forget the sounds & scents,
growing like vines against my gate.
I forget that I live here, beside
the empty January
rose bushes & bare cedars.

No comments:

Post a Comment