My mom is awesome and she called me and helped me work on my poem. I think it's much improved.
Interlude
The engine stills & begins
to cool. I chuck the keys in
my coat pocket & slip out
the door into the thin gap
between cars, careful no scratch
is left behind. Slate sky somber
above me, I smell potpourri,
as if a bonfire of dry flowers
smoldered in the backyard.
I remember testing vials of orange
& lemon oil in a fragrance store
with a girl when I was younger,
not yet wrapped like a bouquet
with memories laced to perfumes
or background music. It was winter also
& we hurried back to the car, missing
the crisp air around us & avoiding
the melting patches of ice.
I adjust the scarf bound
around my neck, & listen
to the old lady scuffing down
our slow street, crunched leaves beneath
her steps & mine. A short space
connects the car & home;
it is a routine walk & I reach
the welcome mat in moments,
cold hands digging
for house keys. I'm still breathing in
the strange smell, like crushed
lavender & mint.
Then I’m out of it, into a room
with stagnant old carpets, dusty
tiles, & closed windows.
Stuck inside day after day,
I forget at times the aromas
growing like vines against my gate.
I forget that in an empty January,
I live here with dried rose petals
& beckoning cedar branches.
No comments:
Post a Comment