Today I got into a poetic mood and just started reading tons of poetry, especially by Billy Collins and Li-Young Lee. I wrote a couple poems, but only one is ready so far for posting, I think. The following poem is especially influence by Li-Young Lee's poem "Pillow". Hope you enjoy it.
Cereal Bowl
I pour many things in there,
but morning by morning,
not mixing the circles,
round like the sun on a fair day,
the rolling wheels of cars and bicycles
that rush down the highway,
with squares,
brick walls in living rooms,
windows to clouds, impending rain.
I hear the thunder when I close my mouth.
I remember dark mornings,
my mother smelled like oatmeal
and from my room I felt the warmth
within blankets of sleep.
The taste swirled with cinnamon
and thick cream, lining my insides
as if a shield against the day,
the sharp words I took in.
But one weekend I slept in
alone to a noon of silence,
a puddle of time untouched by wind,
a reflection of years flying overhead.
I descended the valley of stairs
to the cold floor and haunted table
to slowly fill my bowl
with crushed wheat,
once baked by wrinkled hands,
now wet with white milk.
-------------------------------
What do you think? What feelings does it bring up in you? Memories? Tell me what you think.
No comments:
Post a Comment