The Gap
A girl walks by on a crowded crosswalk
as the light flashes red.
Where are you looking?
Do you see the black silk of her hair
run like a river to the coming night?
Or the way her eyes don’t look at you
but at the billboard of another man
attached to a tall gray building?
The gap between you and her
is wider than you see, for you are a stranger.
Though you can almost grasp her hand,
she is a blur of beauty beyond your mind’s window
Clear your eyes.
And wherever you were looking,
notice now the tails of her long white coat:
the wings of a butterfly, flying away.
-----------
So, this is not a new poem (who said I could only post new poems?), but it's one that I found recently that I thought had been lost. I wrote it while being around several people who just talked so much about how "hot" certain girls were that it frustrated me. And as for the setting of the poem, I just remembered my time in Tokyo where there's one crossing where the most number of people cross per crossing (hundreds, maybe even thousands, I don't know. It sure looked like a lot). And then I revised the poem 7 times and got this, which I'm pretty satisfied with, but am still open to suggestions. I personally feel that it's one of my better poems. Then again, I like most of my own poetry... Hope you enjoy it!
Wonderful! One of my favorites---a bit voyeuristic and imaginal
ReplyDelete