"... even as the sun folds its shadow across the earth..."

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Green Spectrum Litany

So, while doing vigilance in my normal spot at camp, a glade on the way to the lake, I decided it would be interesting to write a descriptive poem all about green things and see where it took me. I liked the result, so I'm posting it. It creates a cool mood that I like and I hope you like it too!


Green Spectrum Litany

Green dandelion leaves digging deep with their fat roots, invading old glades,
            spreading like an unknown fire,
green ferns fanning each other in the wind like Victorian ladies, turning around,
            and chattering like children in church,
green pine needles sticking close, evergreen, full of sap and stories and shaking
            wherever they go when they’re gone,
green maples in summer, when hillsides are robed in ripe fields,
            berry bushes, mint, and rose stems,

dark algae green, cut grass after rain, trees in the shade of trees,
light green eyes, thumbs of planters dreaming of green,
            the underside of birch leaves in the sun,

hard green of flowerless magnolias, strewn deep-forest moss, and frog skin,
soft lichen green, the green painted sky of a thunderstorm wild enough
            to uproot all the other greens and cast them on paths
            green hasn’t hiked for years,

the shadows of green abandoned on sandy homes of dirt, stony days,
            and white lies of a green that doesn’t exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment