"... even as the sun folds its shadow across the earth..."

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Photography


Well, my daily poems continue. This one was inspired by the quote that goes with this poem and a talk I had with my sister this afternoon. As I've stated earlier, I don't really have time to edit well these poems so there's a lot more that I can do with these poems I'm sure, but I thought this initial draft was fun so I'm posting it. Hope you enjoy it too!

Photography

            "I had been able to realize a desired image:
            not the way the subject appeared in reality
            but how it felt to me and how it must appear
            in the finished print" – Ansel Adams

I imagine fixing the tripod to the steady spot,
pointing the lens towards the desired
direction, this time a waterfall near the end
of day, the moment many people forget
happens at all, much like most art, lost
in that moment without a way to capture
the truth of the emotion. I imagine placing
glass plates, color filters in key corners
to block glare or to remove a feeling
that wasn’t there. Angles shifting with precision;
distance being important; vision preceding
the snap of the shutter, nothing is careless 
to the art. Back then, photographers knew
they had to be careful: limited film, materials,
all the tricks of the trade appeared as difficult
as they actually are. It can't be faked by playing
around later; either you know the waterfall breathes
as you do, standing at the edge of the world
watching mountain teeth swallow the sun
and the lungs of the waterfall slow their pulse
in awe, trees burning white, the world only black
and white without colors to distract us from
the way it must appear for us to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment