Obviously,
the gorillas were unexpected.
----
Soar, little puppy,
you only get to ride this catapult once.
----
Devour me,
Snuggie.
----
Yesterday, I saw the train pull in
out of the ocean we loved.
----
In other words, the idea of the poem is often to catch your attention, be funny, or shocking, or something. It was a really fun activity and it makes me want to do longer collaborative poetry with anyone willing (Really, let me know!). Anyway, I wrote the second line of the last of the two-liners you see and in the end, I decided that I liked the idea of a train pulling in out of the ocean, so I decided to run with it and write a longer poem. I've two version, distinguished by the order of images. I sort of like the first one more, but I'm not sure. So at the end, let me know, if you would, which of the two you prefer and if you think the ending works. If it doesn't, I'm sure I could always to pull more images out of my hat. Anyway, enjoy!
The Vision
Yesterday, I saw the train pull in
out of the ocean we loved.
I heard the scrape of waves against the shells,
now empty homes, the travelers riding
with the engine of the tide.
I saw the saltwater curl before it,
like white wheels parting rain
puddles on the side of a worn road.
I heard the cry of seagulls dive
into the flotsam, the tracks devoured
by a storm swarming into the distance.
I saw your feet splash into the sand, the pebbles
rushing to board, away from the beach:
a platform always escaping me.
If you missed it, if you say nothing came or left
us alone, drawn together here, then what
made the shadows walk on water?
What whistle stretched out its lonely fingers
and touched the sky as it passed?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Vision
Yesterday, I saw the train pull in
out of the ocean we loved.
I saw the saltwater curl before it,
like white wheels parting rain
puddles on the side of a worn road.
I saw your feet splash into the sand, the pebbles
rushing to board, away from the beach:
a platform always escaping me.
I heard the cry of seagulls dive
into the flotsam, the tracks devoured
by a storm swarming into the distance.
I heard the scrape of waves against the shells,
now empty homes, the travelers riding
with the engine of the tide.
If you missed it, if you say nothing came or left
us alone, drawn together here, then what
made the shadows walk on water?
What whistle stretched out its lonely fingers
and touched the sky as it passed?
I will write collaborative poetry with you!
ReplyDelete