"... even as the sun folds its shadow across the earth..."

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Train Yard...


The train yard is my backyard

Mostly, the train tracks are unused
except by red spray cans and the graffiti
artists dry of imagination. School boys
trapeze the thin rails; they practice their poise,
balance their cool, burn up their fuse
‘til its gone, and the bus rolls in.

Harry saw the deep metallic lines
and begged me to stop by the rusted tracks
to hear a train smoke its stack
if it ever chugged through town.
We waited 10 minutes. He whined
When, when will it come by?

It never passed us and I
saw them as skid marks that couldn’t slow down;
two black ruts where the government wheeled
us along until we didn’t ride.
Every week Harry plays awhile, then feels
the steely cold deepen and we slip inside.

Rare midnights the whistle blows,
but I gave up the black window long ago,
content to listen to high-pitch descend
like the wails of any other ghost
lost on a limited circular trail.
I wished it would end.

And then it came while I drove along the rail
in middle March; out from a teething tree
its cars drove in tandem beside me.
I became the train and we did not budge
from each other. It rattled like a toy
shaken by the violent curiosity of a boy

who’s found it sounds much
like blue rain. I was caught in the pull:
my old childhood hitched behind
that giant block, the iron cargo hull
packed with heavy gifts and we resigned
then to age, give, and be forgotten.

---------------------------------------------------------

One thing I love about taking a poetry class is that I'm constantly inspired. Oh, not always directly by a certain poem, but by words here and there, or a structure I hadn't considered or noticed. There've been several poets by now in the course who have had poems with 6-line stanzas, sometimes with consistant rhyming, others no.

I wrote this poem because of two things: the time I spent with my niece and nephew last weekend, and, yes, Harry wanted to see the train tracks all over town and wanted to see the train roll by (although it neve did). And then, it is also true that I was driving home one evening (and I do live next to the railroad tracks) and I found myself driving alongside the train at almost the same speed and I thought it was pretty cool. 

And then, I just started thinking about how I could put these experiences in poetry and what I could learn and eventually I wrestled the poem onto a page. I hope you enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment